A Tech stack is the combination of technologies a company uses to build and run a project or application. Sometimes referred to as a ‘Solutions Stack’ – it typically consists of programming languages, a database, frameworks, front-end tools, back-end tools, and applications.
The following is a non-exhaustive list of the tech stacks used by seven RetailTech giants in 2021, including insights into the incredible, innovative technology each of these companies are bringing to the Retail space.
Founded: 2017 | Based: San Francisco
Faire is a Retail Tech that helps retailers find and buy wholesale merchandise for their stores. The company has over 200,000 retailers across Europe and North America and 20,000 brands from over 80 countries. The RetailTech has also reported a 300% year-on-year volume growth.
Earlier this year, Faire announced its expansion into Europe, and the company has now successfully expanded its operations across the largest European markets, including the UK, Germany, Spain, the Netherlands, and it has plans to span across the whole of continental Europe in the coming months.
- Business Tools: Google Analytics.
- Collaboration Tools: G Suite, Zendesk, Zoom, Slack.
- DevOps Solutions: JIRA Software, Sentry, Google Workspace, WordPress, Kubernetes.
Founded: 2012 | Based: San Francisco
Amplitude is a product intelligence platform that provides digital product tools which help teams run and grow their business. With the latest addition of the Amplitude Experiment solution, organizations have a complete growth and learning loop, from testing to delivery and insight to action, all within one system. Founded in 2012, Amplitude said it recorded 50% year-on-year revenue growth in 2020, adding 400 new customers during the year and having its software used by 20% of the Fortune 500.
- Business Tools: AdRoll, Marketo, Jira, Google Analytics.
- Collaboration Tools: Figma, Zendesk, G Suite, Slack, DropBox.
- DevOps Solutions: GitHub, Tornado.
Founded: 2011 | Based: Paris
Mirakl is the leading enterprise marketplace solution, empowering retailers and brands to launch and grow an enterprise marketplace at scale. Over the Black Friday sales period, Mirakl-powered Marketplaces generated $160 million, a 60% year-over-year increase; and as orders surpassed 1.6 million, the platform maintained 100% uptime, confirming the scalability of the RetailTech even under extraordinary demands. Mirakl was also chosen by a record number of enterprises to launch online marketplaces in 2020. In all, the company signed 73 new customers, with many of these being leading Global 2000 companies, highlighting the inarguable value of the platform model.
- Business Tools: Breezy HR, Google Analytics, AskNicely.
- Collaboration Tools: G Suite, Zendesk, Slack, Zoom, Box.
- DevOps Solutions: JIRA Software, Amazon EC2, Apache Maven, GitHub, Ansible, Kubernetes-native.
Founded: 2015 | Based: Detroit
StockX is another online marketplace, but this RetailTech is specifically tailored to buying and selling limited edition and high demand sneakers, streetwear and collectables. In 2020 alone, StockX received 200 million visitors and reported its global active buyers to be up by over 90% year-on-year. As a fallout from the pandemic, there was also a huge seller acceleration in 2020, with more than 60% of the RetailTechs active sellers making their first sales. With StockX propelling throughout even the toughest of times, the RetailTech is set to deliver next generation marketplace experiences to even more buyers and sellers across the globe in 2021.
- Business Tools: Apache, Google Analytics.
- Collaboration Tools: Slack, Zoom, DropBox.
- Programming Languages: Java, Python, jQuery Migrate, Ruby.
- DevOps Solutions: GitHub, HTLM5, Firebase, Underscore.js.
Founded: 2016 | Based: San Francisco
Nuro is a In 2018, the RetailTech teamed up with Kroger to pilot a self-driving grocery delivery service where, for a flat fee, consumers could have their grocery order delivered on the same day. A year later, Nuro linked with Domino’s to create a self-driving pizza delivery vehicle; and in 2020, the company partnered with resumeS to test autonomous prescription deliveries.
- Business Tools: Apache Hadoop, Google Analytics.
- Collaboration Tools: G Suite, Slack.
- DevOps Solutions: JIRA Software, Netlify, Docker.
Founded: 2011 | Based: Colorado
While the Covid-19 pandemic put the brakes on for many companies’, RetailTech Ibotta, the leading shopping and savings app in the US, didn’t waste time adapting to the shift. Over the past year, the RetailTech has expedited a number of new features and programmes, including the launch of Grocery Pickup & Delivery, a new way for consumers to earn cashback, and the development of Ibotta Go, an app which provides brands with access to millions of customers through affordable, straightforward cashback rewards programmes. As a result of Ibotta’s continued innovations and success, in 2020, the RetailTech cemented its place in the top 25% of the country’s most successful companies.
- Business Tools: Yoast SEO, Google Analytics.
- Collaboration Tools: Zendesk, Slack, Microsoft OneDrive.
- Programming Languages: Java, Python, jQuery, Ruby, node.js.
- DevOps Solutions: Kubernetes, WordPress, Datadog, Docker, Amazon CloudFront, Vimeo.
Founded: 2016 | Based: San Francisco
Grabango is the leader in checkout-free technology for existing, large-scale grocery and convenience stores. Grabango is the first and only company to retrofit its checkout-free technology into an already operating store, saving shoppers time by letting them skip the queue. In partnership with Giant Eagle Inc, one of the US’s largest food retailers, Grabango has proven the effectiveness of its technology in a real-world environment with over 15,000 SKUs and tens of thousands of transactions each month. Off the back of this success, the RetailTech will launch its checkout-free technology into four more Giant Eagle GetGo stores by the end of 2021.
- Business Tools: Yoast SEO, Google Analytics, Apache.
- Collaboration Tools: DropBox, Slack, G Suite, Zendesk.
- Programming Languages: Java, Python, jQuery, jQuery Migrate.
- DevOps Solutions: Kubernetes, GitHub, Docker, WordPress.
If you’re a RetailTech startup or scale up looking to grow your team, get in touch! At Storm5, we have a deep network of specialist RetailTech talent looking to join innovative organizations in the retail technology space.